Titanic (3D)

April 15, 2012 0 comments
I once had written a very long post about this James Cameron's Titanic to its defense.

True, not all people like or love this movie. Regardless the subjective nature of movie-watching experience, I've heard 3 main reasons that caused Titanic losing some of the love:
1. The cheesy love story - yes, it is cheesy indeed.
2. The miscast of Leonardo DiCaprio - yes, but look how good he is now as an actor.
3. The over-length of its running time - no. We already got used to watch epic movies that tend to run long.

On April 4, 2012, to commemorate 100 years of the doomed ship, Titanic is re-released in 3D. I am never fond of 3D movies that much. But for this, I would bear wearing those heavy goggles and paying surcharges.

It's been 15 years since I saw it - twice - in cinema. Then, countless from TV and from my DVD. And it was today, that I got a nearly perfect timing to revisit her grandeur line (nearly, as in I got the day right but couldn't get a 2.20 pm local showtime).

Seeing Titanic on the big screen once again, reminded me of the joy of cinema-going experience. Three hours passed very, very quickly. Though I have already known every bit of the story, not a single moment went dull. In fact, it only enhanced its value.

I still stand correctly on some of my points written years ago. However, some scenes are renewed in a way that forced me to see with a whole new different feel. Like Jack and Rose's flying scene, and their kissing scene on that very deck. It was stunning. Gone all the cheesiness of it, leaving me breathtaken.

(and then I saw a bright light coming from an audience sitting far across the aisle, he/she was capturing what's happening on the screen using mobile. I could see the pictures clearly from my seat. One was Jack and Rose flying, one was Jack and Rose kissing. I could only assume he/she wanted to keep these moments, or to share this experience with whoever on the other line).

The sinking of the ship was all about refreshed details. I saw, again, how dark it was with the icy water. And how warm with honor and love.

Having said that, to be frank, this 3D version didn't do much change to it. There's no gimmick, I could hardly notice the 3D depth in night scenes.

But I got to see how good was Kate Winslet. To the score that got into perfection. And I got an eye-opener that Leo did not do bad after all.

I would have seen it again even if James Cameron re-released Titanic in the same 2D format as he did in 1997.

And I was among one of the best audience group in the studio. By a quick observation, they were mature (thus indicating at least half of them have seen Titanic before) and well-behaved. They responded to the movie by laughing at right moments, or else by keeping it quiet through the drama.

I would forgive some low mobile rings after Titanic sank. And for sure I didn't have any grudge to the one who stole that romantic screencaps. (I, if didn't know any better, might as well do the same. Couldn't help it, could y'). Because nothing could ruin my pleasure this evening. Seeing a timeless movie.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Imitating the Critics | TNB